Child Support

In South Carolina, both parents share equally in the obligation to support their children
request a free consultation

Child Support Attorneys

In South Carolina, both parents share equally in the obligation to support their children from birth until the child is deemed emancipated upon turning 18 years of age or graduating high school, whichever comes later. Certain circumstances, however, may necessitate that one parent bears a greater burden than the other.

At The Miller Law Firm, P.A., we endeavor to help our clients make the best economic decision in determining whether or not to move forward with a request for modification. Call the Miller Law Firm, P.A. today at (864) 527-0413.

Let us fight for you

Our law firm helps families resolve legal matters peacefully

Compassionate, Committed Legal Service

individualized attention and expertise

The Miller Law Firm, PA can help parties assess whether their situation qualifies as a substantial change in circumstances, whether it would be beneficial to file, and how best to proceed, keeping in mind the client’s ultimate goal – the well-being of their children.

There are many factors that can impact child custody agreements and it is important to obtain good representation to help you achieve the best outcome for you and your children. Call the Miller Law Firm, P.A. today at (864) 527-0413.

Common questions related to Child Support

Who has primary placement of the children and how many children are subject to the action?

In order to determine child support obligations, the Court first determines how many children are eligible for support. Generally, child support is available for minor children until they reach the age of 18 or until they graduate from high school, whichever occurs later. The Court will determine who has custody of the minor children before making any determination of support.

How much will I have to pay?

In general, child support is determined based on the parents’ individual gross incomes. The state of South Carolina uses a calculator to determine child support based on the income of the parents. This calculator is called the South Carolina DSS Child Support Calculator.

Are there any factors that could reduce my child support payments?

Yes. Some examples include:

  • Providing for support for another child or children may reduce support
  • Providing health insurance for the minor child or children may reduce support
  • Maintaining a child for overnight visitation of 110 days or more may reduce support
Are there any factors that could increase my child support payments?

Yes. Some examples include:

  • Extraordinary medical expenses
  • Daycare expenses paid by the custodial parent could increase the non-custodial parent’s support obligation
Will I receive a tax credit?

The Miller Law Firm, P.A. is not an accounting firm and all clients are encouraged to seek accounting advice as needed. In general, child support is taxable to the party paying support and not taxable to the recipient.

Can child support change?

Yes. Child support may be increased or decreased based on a substantial and material change in circumstances. Loss of a job, or a promotion are examples of potential changes in circumstances. However, every situation is unique and must be evaluated on an individual basis before a decision should be made to file for a modification.

Get In Touch

Tell Us a Little More About Your Case

    • [recaptcha class:cct-recaptcha]

    case evaluation

    Get Started Today

    Our goal is to stand up for you during this difficult time – the sooner you contact us for the assistance you require and the counsel you deserve, the better.

      • [recaptcha]

      • Request Image

        We’ll Come To You

        Our attorney will travel to your home, or hospital, at your convenience and request

      • Call Image

        Call Us Anytime

        We are available to discuss your case anytime. Give us a call at (864) 527-0413

      • Consultation Image

        Request Consultation

        Our attorneys are always ready to evaluate your case. Call us today