Category Archives: Elder Law
In South Carolina the following may require conservatorships: minors who received settlement funds, insurance funds, or other inheritances; developmentally disabled persons; and adult persons who did not set up an estate plan, and due to age, injury or circumstances have lost mental capacity to make financial decisions concerning their care. Since so...read more
- March 20th, 2017
- Elder Law
If your spouse is disabled and has qualified to receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and/or Medicaid benefits, you will need to carefully consider how to provide your Spouse with an inheritance, or else those benefits be endangered. The resource and income limits required in order to qualify for SSI and Medicaid are very low. A poorly planned inheritance to your Spouse can result in disqualification from these vit...read more
- December 14th, 2016
- Elder Law
Medicaid Special Needs Trusts have just received needed legislative attention from the United States Congress and President of the United States. HR 34 was signed into law by President Obama on December 13, 2016. Title 5, Section 5007 of HR 34 is entitled “Fairness In Medicaid Supplemental Needs Trusts” and contains exactly two sentences designed to correct a 23 year old omission made in the Social Security Act. ...read more
- October 17th, 2016
- Elder Law
The Stephen Beck, Jr. ABLE Act (Achieving a Better Life Experience) was conceived and championed by Stephen Beck, Jr., a Virginia father of a daughter with Down’s Syndrome, who thought up a new way to allow disabled people to save money without impacting their qualification for Medicaid and SSI benefits. The Act was signed into law by President Obama on December 19, 2014. This Act’s purpose is to provide a new accou...read more
Recent Blog Posts
- BEWARE THE ECONOMIC INCOME DISASTER RELIEF LOAN! (EIDL)
- WHEN DO I NEED A CONSERVATORSHIP?
- Kelly Clarkson, Alimony and What Every Breadwinning Woman Should Know
- WHAT DO I NEED TO START A SMALL BUSINESS?
- WHAT DO WE DO ABOUT THE SBA EIDL LOAN WHEN SELLING OUR BUSINESS?
- Finding YOUR Yellow Tux
- The A.L.E. Project – Oops…I Did it Again
- Divorce Diaries: The Opposite of Love By Tawnya Queen
- PANDEMIC SOLUTIONS FOR SMALL BUSINESSES By Brian R. Miller
- Why Every Human Being Should Watch Ted Lasso Right Now
Get In Touch
Tell Us a Little More About Your Case